9.19.2009

School Days, School Days







This school year is going so incredible, not just for me, but for the whole school. For me personally, my students are doing so well - they are working well, not complaining, learning stuff, and attending for the most part is pretty good (this is usually a big problem at our school). If you're not familiar with my school, we are a charter school in a large district and so students have to apply to come to our school. We are very small (240 or so kids), and that is the draw of our school. We also have no homework which attracts kids, but is a problem in my opinion (that's a whole separate blog!). The students who come to us are failing at the big (3000 or more kids) high schools for a variety of reasons - ADHD, falling behind, drug/alchohol problems, pregnancy/teen mothers, family problems, etc. Our students are officially at-risk, so it can be a number of things.
In the past as the school has been building it's reputation the administration has been forced to accept certain kids from other schools, and generally those kids don't want to be at our school and cause problems. Since we are so small (max class size 12), one disruptive student very seriously affects the whole class and the students in general (many kids have many classes together). But, this year we haven't been forced to take students and only took students who applied and interviewed well (each kid must interview with principal). As a result the year is going very well.
Last year, the whole school had a bad vibe, and I believe much of that had to do with Hurricane Ike. It really messed up our whole year and students seemed extra lazy, full of complaints and overall we had a hard time getting students to work and participate well.

I have at least 1 pregnant girl (she's due in April and is pregnant a 2nd time after having a miscarriage in the spring - I actually asked her if she knew how pregnancy happened) and possibly a 2nd (not 100% sure, although counselor said she was). It is wierd answering questions about pregnancy in my class, but this particular girl is living with her boyfriend and his family and I really don't know what kind of information she is getting. Other than that I have a great set of students. And, I've been working in the morning when kids are generally better behaved (they universally get crazy in the afternoons), and I have been loving it.

I did lose at least one student yesterday to drugs. We have drug dogs come to our school regularly and search classrooms and cars. I had one student sent to AEP (alternative education program - a school for the kids in trouble - they 'serve' time there and if goes well can return after some amount of time like 60 days) and another student who I don't have this year, but had for the past 2 years. That particular student had a decent amount of marijuana in his car, and the former had paraphernelia (I think, not 100% sure). Two others were sent to AEP as well, although I don't know who they are (it happened in the afternoon) and if they are mine or not. It's very disappointing when this happens because the dogs have already visited the school twice this year, and my former student has been here for 3 years and seen many students kicked out or even arrested (actually led out of school in handcuffs) for having drugs.

It's an interesting place and there's always alot of action, but I love it. One of my students actually told me this week "I don't hate you Ms. Niles. I think you're an amazing teacher, I just don't like your personality", which I find very funny. Essentially he's mad at me for not bending the rules for him and allowing him to answer his phone in class, leave class to call his veterinarian or play the guitar. It's hard for students to adjust to the rules at our school when they've come from schools where rules aren't enforced or are much more difficult to enforce because the school is so big. I truly say every day that I have the best job ever, and I am so lucky to have found it.

I've added some photoshop fun some of my students had in another class. They're pretty cute, except for the major man-hands I have in the 'Bill Nye' one!

No comments: